Digital marketers are vital in today's workforce. They help businesses flourish in the digital world and possess a wide range of skills and knowledge necessary for success in the digital realm. Whether it's search engine optimisation (SEO), social media marketing, pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, content creation, or email marketing, digital marketers are crucial for any business aiming to market their services online. If you’re a digital marketer looking to upgrade your CV and get noticed by potential employers faster, you’ve come to the right place!
Before we get started, an effective digital marketing CV should contain the following:
- The header
- The professional summary
- The employment history section
- The skills section
- The education section
Let’s begin with the professional summary:
Crafting an effective CV summary requires adopting an audience-directed approach and highlighting yourself in a positive light. As a marketing professional, you have the advantage of being familiar with employing a brand's voice and personality. It's important to focus on what the employer needs and present those aspects persuasively. Remember, although limited in space, this section is crucial for showcasing your personal and professional essence. To make the most impact, use active, results-oriented verbs instead of starting sentences with "I." Aim for clarity and fluidity in your language, avoiding overly embellished and pretentious tones. Finally, infuse your summary with enthusiasm, confidence, and authenticity to leave a lasting impression. By following these guidelines, you'll be able to craft a compelling CV summary that stands out from the rest!
Proactive and innovative digital marketing manager passionate about bringing the creative vision of brands to life. Strategic and skilled in search engine optimisation, social media advertising, HTML and CSS, conversion rate optimisation and content marketing. Effective communicator and fluent in four languages, including English, Irish, Italian and French. Collaborative and committed to delivering exceptional service to brands and clients.
When creating your CV for a career in digital marketing, it's important to follow a specific format. If you have consistently worked in employee positions within the digital marketing field, we recommend using the traditional CV format. We’ve attached a great example of an employment history sample below if you need extra inspiration!
The best way to structure this section is in reverse chronological order. Your most recent job should be listed first, and your earliest job should be listed last. It's recommended to include no more than four or five positions. If you have employment gaps or have worked in unrelated occupations, prioritise relevant positions. Typically, only relevant digital marketing work experience should be included on your CV, with some exceptions.
Digital Marketing Manager at Réabhlóid Co, Dublin
December 2017 - Present
- Monitored social media channels, increasing the Réabhlóid Co Instagram following from 100 to 18,500 followers and the Réabhlóid Co TikTok following from 200 to 13,000 followers in less than one year
- Developed email campaigns and increased the Réabhlóid Co following list from 750 sign-ups to 10,000 sign-ups in eight months
- Monitored website metrics and analytics to identify trends and attract more traffic to the Réabhlóid Co website
- Worked closely with the Réabhlóid Co SEO team to improve sales conversion rate, increasing sales by 38% in 2017 Digital Marketing
Manager at Green Theory, Dublin
February 2014 - March 2017
- Researched, recommended and implemented digital marketing strategies for Green Theory
- Presented market research to the Green Theory founders, highlighting market trends and making recommendations to improve sales conversion rate and social media presence
- Created ad marketing campaigns, boosting Green Theory's Instagram's followers from 600 to 26,000 followers, Green Theory's Facebook page from 200 followers to 10,000 followers, and the Green Theory TikTok from 800 followers to 54,0000 followers
- Collaborated with Green Theory's SEO consultants and social media interns to attract traffic to the Green Theory website and social media channels
- Launched the Green Theory newsletter, increasing the Green Theory mailing list from 610 to 12,000 sign-ups in 6 months
In the field of digital marketing, employers often require formal education, with a typical requirement being a Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or graphic design. Additionally, certifications such as Google AdWords or other specialty certifications may also be needed. For higher-level positions like manager or director, a Master's degree may be preferred.
When it comes to your certifications, we recommend listing these in reverse chronological order, starting with the highest level of education achieved. You can also mention any scholastic awards or special achievements you’ve received.
You can also include any relevant diplomas, certifications, and internships in the education section of your CV. This section should highlight your training and professional development, showcasing your continuous learning and adaptability in the dynamic digital marketing sector.
Bachelor of Business, Griffith College Dublin, Dublin
September 2011 - June 2014
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Business majoring in Digital Marketing
In this section, highlight the skills you've acquired as a digital marketing expert throughout your career. It's a good idea to read over the job description to see if you possess any specific skills potential employers are looking for. As an expert in the marketing realm, you are well-versed in staying ahead of the curve when it comes to learning, and you possess exceptional research capabilities. Given your expertise in marketing, you should have no trouble successfully promoting your skills and professional experience. Don't be shy!
- Industry Trends & Sales Forecasting
- Content Research & Development
- Social Media Management
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Content Creation
- Google Analytics
- Google Adwords
- SEO Copywriting
- Email Marketing
- Social Media