Successful CV Writing for marketing professionals
As a marketing professional, you know that first impressions count, and in the employment world, your CV serves as your first impression to potential employers: so it's essential that your CV is the best reflection of your professional identity as possible! At CVapp.ie, we’re passionate about helping professionals reach their full potential.
Every great CV should contain the following:
- The CV Header
- The professional profile
- The employment history section
- The CV Skills
- The education section
Before you begin working on your CV, we recommend researching the company you're applying to and learning more about their values and workplace culture. We also recommend that you carefully review the job description for the position you're interested in, so that you have a good understanding of what's expected of you. This information will also help you tailor your CV to what employers are looking for!
Let’s start with the professional profile:
Professional Profile: Summarising your career potential
Your professional profile is a great way to build rapport and establish a connection with potential employers. While your professional profile is only 3-5 sentences long, it can help employers understand your professional journey and highlight the expertise and skills you've acquired throughout your marketing career. In this section, you’ll want to summarise why you’re a great fit for the role.
Especialista en marketing con experiencia, experto en la supervisión de estrategias de medios de comunicación tradicionales y nuevos, diseñadas para ayudar a las empresas a alcanzar sus objetivos de generación de prospectos, reconocimiento de marca y captación de usuarios.
Employment History: Illustrate your professional excellence
The employment history section is an essential part of the CV, illustrating any relevant accomplishments, expertise and career experiences you have. In this section, you should outline any previous job positions you've held and include the name of the organisations you worked for, the cities each organisation was based in, the duration of time you spent in each position and any key achievements and responsibilities you held.
As a marketing professional, it's important to emphasise how your previous employment experiences have enhanced your marketing skills. How can you align your expertise to the job requirements listed in the job description? Be sure to carefully review the requirements outlined in the job description.
- Developed effective SEO strategies for clients, resulting in a 40% increase in leads per month on average
- Designed great marketing campaigns
It’s always best to use numbers, facts and figures where possible to measure your impact. By using numbers, you provide tangible evidence of your accomplishments and success, which adds credibility to your claims and showcases your ability to achieve measurable results. Check out our example below:
Jefe de Marketing , Sunaco Coms
Jun 2017 — Mayo 2021
- Trabajé para establecer y aplicar planes estratégicos de marketing diseñados para aprovechar las oportunidades del mercado y lograr el crecimiento.
- Evalué la competencia y determiné los planes empresariales y de marketing que debían aplicarse.
- Trabajé para fomentar un plan de marketing que promoviera el conocimiento de la marca y lanzara mensajes con eficacia.
- Dirigí la estrategia, el contenido y las iniciativas creativas de la empresa para una comunicación de marketing totalmente integrada.
- Gestioné con éxito las cuentas de la empresa en las redes sociales. • Desarrollo y gestión de campañas de correo electrónico.
Especialista en marketing de contenidos , VideoVentura
Oct 2014 — Mayo 2017
- Creación de contenidos interesantes y bien documentados para atraer tráfico y captar lectores y clientes.
- Creación de contenido social para promover la cultura y el mensaje de VideoVentura.
- Colaboré con el equipo de contenidos para mantener un calendario editorial estelar.
- Investigué las tendencias del mercado para identificar nuevas oportunidades de marketing y productos.
- Trabajé para aportar ideas y enfoques creativos que aprovecharan el contenido y aumentaran los ingresos
CV Skills: Share your professional superpowers
The skills section of your CV can help you highlight the professional value you can bring to the specific job role you're applying for. You can choose to include essential marketing skills, such as branding, campaign management and marketing analytics, or if you specialise in digital marketing, you could focus on highlighting your proficiency in SEO, social media marketing or content marketing.
The most important thing to remember is that your skills section should be based on the specific requirements of the job you’re applying for: tailoring your skills to match the position helps employers understand how you’re a strong fit for the role and increases your chances of capturing the attention of potential employers. Woo-hoo!
Here’s a great example below:
- Marketing de contenidos
- Marketing digital
- Optimización SEO
- Habilidades de colaboración
- Investigación y desarrollo de contenidos
Education: Highlight your academic background
The education section of your CV should highlight your academic background and convey the academic expertise you can bring to the job role you’re applying for. As a marketing professional, it can be particularly helpful to include coursework you've completed or awards you've received that are relevant to the marketing industry. This not only demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of key marketing principles, but also highlights your commitment to continuously develop your skills in this field.
When listing your education, be sure to include the names of the qualifications you have earned, the names of the institutions and the location of the institution, the dates of attendance (usually in years or months) and any relevant coursework you completed. It’s always important to tailor your CV to the specific job you're applying for, so consider including coursework that directly aligns with the requirements of the marketing position. For example, if you've completed courses in consumer behaviour, branding or digital marketing, be sure to include details of these courses in this section: bonus points if you have outstanding course results to share.
Here’s our example of a great education section:
Licenciatura en Marketing, UBAP Puebla
Sep 2010 — Mayo 2010
Diploma de preparatoria, Preparatoria
Sep 2006 — Mayo 2010